Dr Petrou S. Athanasios MD, MSc (HBP), PhD
Associated Professor in Surgery, European University-School of Medicine
Director of the ADVANCED LAPAROSCOPIC AND ROBOTIC HEPATO-PANCREATO-BILIARY (HPB) AND SURGICAL ONCOLOGY CENTER - AMC
Director of the DEPARTMENT of ROBOTIC HPB SURGERY at the AMERICAN INSTITUTE OF MINIMAL INVASIVE SURGERY - AIMIS
Director of the DEPARTMENT of HPB SURGERY UNIT at the ATHENS MEDICAL CENTER, ATHENS, GREECE
F. Senior Fellow in HPB & Transplant Surgery, Oxford University-HPB/UGi and Transplantation Center
F. Senior Fellow in HPB & Surgical Oncology, Royal Marsden Hospital/Imperial College London, Dep. of Academic Surgery
F. Clinical Fellow in HPB Surgery, Hammersmith Hospital/Imperial College London, Dep. of HPB Surgery
Dr Petrou S. Athanasios is a Consultant Surgeon specialized in Hepatobiliary, Pancreatic (HPB) and Surgical Oncology (http://www.hpb.surgery/).
He completed his Higher Surgical Training in the First Department of Surgery, University of Athens Medical School, LAIKO Teaching Hospital, Athens, Greece in 2009. At the period of his special training he has also worked as Honorary Clinical Fellow in HPB Surgery at the Department of HPB Surgery, Hammersmith Hospital, London, UK. During his Higher Surgical Training, he trained extensively in HPB Surgery along with Surgical Oncology.
His expertise in HPB and Surgical Oncology was further enhanced during his Fellowships in The Royal Marsden Hospital NHS Trust - Department of Academic Surgery (HPB & Surgical Oncology), and, in the Churchill Hospital, University of Oxford - HPB & Transplant Centre (Upper GI/HPB, and, Transplant surgery).
He gained a Master of Science (MSc in Hepato-Pacreatico-Biliary/HPB Surgery), in 2009 from the Democritus University of Thrace Medical School, and a PhD in Medicine (Liver Surgery), in 2010 from the National and Kapodestrian University of Athens, Medical School.
Dr Petrou deals with Surgical Treatments and Management for the whole spectrum of HPB diseases. These includes gallstone, biliary and pancreatic diseases. Surgery for cancer of the liver, biliary system and the pancreas also fall within his expertise. He also has a special interest in the Surgical Oncology.
The treatment of the Upper Gastrointestinal Tract malignancies (Oesophageal & Gastric Cancer), as well as, the Abdominal Retroperitoneal Sarcomas, Colorectal Surgery, and, the Adrenal surgery are integrated in his proficiency.
He is formally trained in minimal invasive surgery (Laparoscopic and Robotic surgery), and, he recently established the program of the Advanced Laparoscopic HPB Surgery at the American Medical Center.
Main topic of his clinical interest is the treatment of non-resectable Pancreatic and Liver malignancies with the IRE - Irreversible Electroporation method (Nanoknife).
Since 2014 he is leading the Nanoknife Program for the treatment of unresectable Liver and Pancreatic tumors, at the American Medical Center, Nicosia, CY (www.amc.com.cy)
On 2017, the European-African Hepato-Pancreato-Biliary Association (E-AHPBA) (http://www.eahpba.org/) has assigned him as Member of Committee on Educational Activities.
Dr Petrou is a member of the Association of Upper GI Surgeons and the Association of Surgeons of Great Britain and Ireland. He is also Member of the International Hepato – Pancreato - Billiary Association (IHPBA), of the European Hepato – Pancreato - Billiary Association (EHPBA), and, the European Society of Surgical Oncology (ESSO).
He has more than 80 publications (https://athanasiospetrou.academia.edu/) (scientific original papers and abstracts) in international peer reviewed journals and decades of studies presented in international surgical meetings and conferences.
1. Senior Clinical Fellow in Transplant - HPB and UGI Surgery.
HPB/UGI and Transplant Center, The Churchill Hospital, NHS Trust, Oxford University, Old Road, Headington, OX3 7LJ, Oxford, United Kingdom.
Peter Friend, MA, MB, BChir, MD, FRCS, Professor of Transplantation.
Silva Michael, MD, FRCS, Consultant HPB and Transplant Surgeon.
Training post for specialization in Hepato – Pancreatico - Biliary (HPB) Surgery, and in Kidney - Pancreas - Small Intestine Transplantation.
2. Honorary Senior Clinical Fellow in HPB Surgery and Surgical Oncology.
Department of Academic Surgery, The Royal Marsden Hospital, NHS Foundation Trust, Fulham Road,
London, SW3 6JJ, UK.
Scientific Supervisor: Mr Satvinder Mudan, MBBS, BSc, MD, FRCS, Consultant Surgeon in HPB & Surgical Oncology.
Training post for specialization in Hepato – Pancreatico - Biliary Surgery, and in Surgical Oncology
3. Honorary Clinical Fellow in HPB Surgery
Department of HPB Surgery, Hammersmith Hospital, Imperial College, 150 Du Cane Road, W12 0HS London, UK.
Scientific Supervisor: Nagy A. Habib, Professor of HPB Surgery.
Training post for specialization in Hepato – Pancreatico - Biliary Surgery.
- General Surgery
- Hepato-Pancreatico-Biliary (HPB) Surgery (benighn and malignant conditions)
- Surgical Oncology (Sarcoma Surgery, Gastric cancer, Esophageal cancer, Adrenal Surgery, Colo-rectal cancer)
- Nanoknife treatment (IRE/Irreversible Electroporation for HPB malignancies)
- Cytoteductive Surgery, and, HIPEC
- Laparoscopic and Robotic Surgery (minimal invasive surgery)
PUBLICATIONS & PRESENTATIONS
1. Non-Whipple operations in the Management of Benign, Premalignant and Early Cancerous Duodenal Lesions. Papalampros A, Moris D, Petrou A, Dimitrokallis N, Karavokyros I, Schizas D, Delladetsima I, Pappas TN, Felekouras E. Anticancer Res 2017
2. Weak stromal caveolin-1 expression in colorectal liver metastases predicts poor prognosis after hepatectomy for liver-only colorectal metastases. Neofytou K, Petrou A, Petrides C, Angelou A, Agrogiannis G, Papakonstandinou I, Papalambros A, Kavatzas N, Pikoulis E, Liakakos T, Felekouras E. Sci Rep 2017
4. Whipple’s Procedure Complicated by Celiac Artery Stenosis: Case Report and Review of Treatment OptionsBramis K, Kourounis G, Morris D, Petrou A. Research Frontiers, 2017
5. Laparoscopic approach in colonic diverticulitis: Dispelling myths and misperceptions. Panagiota Gralista Demetrios Moris, MD Michail Vailas Anastasios Angelou Athanasios Petrou Evangelos Felekouras Alexandros Papalampros. SLEPT, 2017
6. Comprehensive Surgical Traetment as the mainstay of treatment in Retroperitoneal Sarcomas: Retrospective Study from Two Non-sarcoma Specialist Centers.Petrou A, Constantinidou A, Kontos M, Papalampros A, Moris D, Bakoyiannis C, Neofytou K, Kourounis G, Felekouras E. Anticancer Res 2017
7. Parenchymal-sparing Hepatectomy as the New Doctrine in the Treatment of Liver-metastatic Colorectal Disease: Beyond Oncological Outcomes. Moris D, Dimitroulis D, Vernadakis S, Papalampros A, Spartalis E, Petrou A, Timothy M. Pawlik, Felekouras E. Accepted Anticancer Research. 2016
8. Anomalous radiological and clinical demonstration of gallbladder duplication in an asymptomatic pregnant female.Petrou A, et al. Accepted Annali di Chirurgia Italiani. 2016
9. Irreversible electroporation (Nanoknife® treatment) in the field of hepatobiliary surgery: Current status and future perspectives.Kourounis G, Tabet PT, Moris D, Papalambros A, Felekouras E, Georgiades F, Astras G, Petrou A. Accepted JBUON. 2016
11. Mechanistic insights of rapid liver regeneration after associating liver partition and portal vein ligation for stage hepatectomy.Moris D, Vernadakis S, Papalampros A, Vailas M, Dimitrokallis N, Petrou A, Dimitroulis D. World J Gastroenterolv. 2016
15. The Hepaticojejunostomy Technique with Intra-Anastomotic Stent in Biliary Diseases and Its Evolution throughout the Years: A Technical Analysis.Moris D, Papalampros A, Vailas M, Petrou A, Kontos M, Felekouras E. Gastroenterology Research and Practice. 2016
16. Monocarboxylate transporter 4 as a prognostic biomarker in patients with colorectal cancer and liver metastases.Petrides C, Neofytou K, Agrogiannis G, Petrou A, Angelou A, Kavantzas N, Papalambros A, Felekouras E, Liakakos T, Pikoulis E. International Journal of Surgery. 2016
28. RFA Assisted Resection for HCC: Morbidity, Mortality and long term survival. Prassas E, Petrou A, Kontos M, Rizos D, Giannopoulos A, Papalambros E, Felekouras E. JBUON. 2013
35. Hepatic epithelioid hemangioendothelioma and the danger of misdiagnosis: report of a case.Neofytou K, Chrysochos A, Charalambous N, Dietis M, Petridis C, Andreou C, Petrou A. Case Rep Oncol Med. 2013
36. History of Biliary Surgery. Spyrou Y, Petrou A, Christoforides C, Evangelos F. World Journal or Surgery. 201337. Natural orifice transluminal endoscopic surgery (NOTES): where do we stand today?Moris D, Bramis K, Mantonakis E Papalampros Al, Petrou A, Papalampros E. American Journal of Surgery. 2012
42. Acute Recurrent Pancreatitis: an autonomous clinical entity, or, a secondary clinical manifestation? Petrou A, Bramis K, Williams T, Papalambros A, Mantonakis E, Felakouras E. JOP. 2011
45. A pathological fracture and a solitary bone metastasis in the right clavicle: an unusual first presentation of HCC and the role of immunohistochemistry. Mantonakis E, Margariti T, Petrou A, Stofas A, Lazaris A, Michail P. J Med C Rep. 2011
46. A malignant gastrointestinal stromal tumor of gallbladder immunoreactive for PDGFRA and negative for CD 117 antigen (c-KIT). Petrou A, Papalambros A, Alexandrou P, Fragkou P, Bramis K, Brennan N, Felekouras E. HPB Surgery, 2011
52. Intraductal Papillary Mucinous Neoplasm (IPMN) and Chronic Pancreatitis: Overlapping Pathological Entities? Two Case Reports.Petrou A, Papalambros A, Brennan N, Prassas E, Margariti T, Bramis K, Rozemberg T, Papalambros E. JOP. 2010
53. Pleomorphic giant cell carcinoma of the pancreas with hepatic metastases, initially presenting as a benign serous cystadenoma: A case report and review of the literature. Petrou A, Papalambros A, Brennan N, Karles D, Bramis K, Manzelli A, Papalambros E. HPB Surgery. 2010
54. GIST suture-line recurrence at a gastrojejunal anastomosis 8 years after gastrectomy: can GIST ever be described as truly benign? A case report.Papalambros A, Petrou A, Brennan N, Bramis K, Felekouras E, Papalambros E. World J Surg Oncol. 2010
56. Colon and renal cancer, three coexisting primary tumors: a case report. Mantonakis E, Papalampros A, Petrou A, Giannopoulos L, A Giannopoulos. Journal of Clinical Oncology. 2010
57. Primary appendiceal mucinous adenocarcinoma alongside with Situs Inversus Totalis: A unique clinical case. Petrou A, Papalambros A, Katsoulas N, Bramis K, Evagelou K, Felekouras E.W J Surg Oncol. 2010
61. Percutaneous cholecystostomy without interval cholecystectomy as definitive treatment of acute cholecystitis in elderly and critically ill patients. Griniatsos J, Petrou A, Pappas P, Revenas K, Karavokyros I, Michail OP, Tsigris C, Giannopoulos A, Felekouras E. South Med J. 2008
63. Coexistence of gastrointestinal stromal tumor (GIST) and colorectal adenocarcinoma: A case report. Efstathios P, Petrou Ath , Papaconstantinou I, Alexandros P, Frangisca S, Sotirios G, Evangelos F, Athanasios G. World J Surg Oncol. 2007
64. Poorly differentiated carcinoma of the rectum with aberrant immunophenotype: a case report.Giannopoulos A, Papaconstantinou I, Alexandrou P, Petrou A, Papalambros A, Felekouras E, Papalambros E. World J Gastroenterol. 2006
Associated Hospitals / Clinics
Lead Consultant Surgeon with a special interest in Hepato – Pancreatico - Biliary Surgery & Surgical Oncology (Oct, 2011 - Current)Ministry of Health of the Republic of Cyprus
Appointed by the Ministry of Health of Cyprus for the needs of the Republic of Cyprus. After the completion of my specialization in Hepato – Pancreatico - Biliary Surgery (HPB) and Surgical Oncology, and following an invitation from the Ministry of Health of the Republic of Cyprus, I took over the initiation of the activities of this specialization for the Republic of Cyprus. In a period of 4, 5 years with the full support of the Ministry of Health and the invaluable assistance of the staff of the Surgical Clinic I successfully organized and established the HPB and Surgical Oncology Service in Cyprus. As the Lead Consultant Surgeon, the main thrust of my clinical work is the Liver/Pancreatic Surgery for benign and malignant tumors and the surgery of the Biliary tract. Additional to this, my surgical activities includes the leadership of the Surgical Oncology service in my department and my official involvement in the 1:6 on-call rota as a General Surgeon. In this period I performed over 550 major surgical procedures related to my specialization in the Department of Surgery, Nicosia General Hospital. The overall results of both surgical and clinical activities were accompanied by a high success rate, faithfully accepted by the international criteria. At the same time I have performed over 250 procedures of general surgery. Furthermore, under permission by the Ministry of Health of Cyprus, I have provided the scientific coverage, I have taken the responsibility of the management, and, I have performed more than 250 of surgical procedures in the Limassol General Hospital, as well as in private tertiary hospitals in Cyprus. The range of interventions that are integrated in my proficiency includes the whole spectrum of the Liver - Biliary Tract – Pancreas diseases, Gastric and Esophageal cancers, Sarcomas, Retroperitoneal and Aortic Lymphadenectomies, Adrenalectomies, etc., with both open and laparoscopic approach.
Head Consultant Surgeon in Hepato – Pancreatico - Biliary Surgery (HPB) & Surgical Oncology:AIMIS (American Institute of Minimal Invasive Surgery), (Mar, 2018 - Current)https://www.aimis.com/
Leading Consultant Surgeon of the newly established service of Advanced Laparoscopic and Minimal Invasive HPB Surgery.
Surgical Oncology (Jan, 2012 - Current)American Medical Center
Clinical Lead at the grade of Consultant Surgeon with counseling and clinical activity in matters involving the therapy of the Liver – Biliary Tract – Pancreas and the Surgical Oncology at the American Medical Center (http://amc.com.cy/en-us/), Private Hospital, Nicosia, CY (under permission from the Ministry of Health of the Republic, providing specialized services in private hospitals in Cyprus).
Surgery at the Athens Medical Center (Dec, 2015 - Nov, 2020)Private Hospital, Athens, Greece.
Scientific associate at the grade of Consultant Surgeon with counseling and clinical activity in matters involving Hepato – Pancreatico - Biliary (HPB) Surgery at the Athens Medical Center (http://www.iatriko.gr/en/)
Scientific Associate (Oct, 2011 - Current)Bank of Cyprus Oncology Centre
(http://www.bococ.org.cy/): weekly participation as an expert surgeon in Hepato – Pancreatico - Biliary Surgery & Surgical Oncology, in the multi-disciplinary meetings of the Bank of Cyprus Oncology Centre (GI / MDT meetings).
UniversityFACULTY OF MEDICINE AND PHARMACY OF UNIVERSITY OF CRAIOVA, ROMANIA, EU
Other UniversitiesNational and Kapodistrian University of Athens Medical School, and, Medical School of the Democritus University of Thrace, Greece, EU
AssociationsUniversity of Oxford, HPB/UGI and Transplant Center, The Churchill Hospital, NHS Trust
Honours & Awards
Associated Professor in Surgery, European University - School of Medicine, CY, EU.
On 2017, the European-African Hepato-Pancreato-Biliary Association (E-AHPBA) (http://www.eahpba.org/) has assigned him as Member of Committee on Educational Activities.
Lead Consultant Surgeon in Hepato – Pancreatico - Biliary Surgery & Surgical Oncology: Appointed by the Ministry of Health of Cyprus to the Department of Surgery of Nicosia General Hospital for the needs of the Republic of Cyprus (2011-2018).
Honorary Ass. Professor of Surgery, St George's University of London /Medical School at the University of Nicosia, CY (2014-2017).
Director of the Hepato – Pancreatico - Biliary Surgery & Surgical Oncology Department, at the American Institute of Minimal Invasive Surgery - AIMIS (https://www.aimis.com/)
Head of the Hepato – Pancreatico - Biliary Surgery & Surgical Oncology Team, at the Athens Medical Center.
Examiner with the Royal College of Surgeons.
DEGREE IN MEDICINE: Medical Faculty of the University of Craiova, Romania, EU (General Grade: excellent 9.06) in October 1999. (Grade: Excellent)
Certificate of Equivalence of the Degree, to Conferred in Greek Universities after successful examinations DIKATSA in September of 2000. (Grade: Very Good)
ACQUISITION OF THE TITLE OF MEDICAL SPECIALIZATION: after successful examination for the specialty title as General Surgeon. DATE OF ACQUISITION: 01/11/2009
POSTGRADUATE DIPLOMA (Master's Degree/MSc), in Hepato-Pancreatico-Biliary (HPB) Surgery. Head of Postgraduate Studies Program (PSP): Professor of Surgery and Dean of the Medical School, Dr. Konstantinos Simopoulos.
After attending and completing both the educational and research schemes of the Postgraduate Program, on the November19th of 2009, I presented at the Scientific Committee headed by the Rector of the Democritus University of Thrace, my Diploma thesis, titled: STUDY OF THE APIGENIN EFFECT ON THE EXPRESSION OF BCL-2 PROTEINS IN HEPATOCELLULAR CARCINOMA Which led to the award of the title MSc in Hepato-Pancreatico-Biliary Surgery in January 2010, with the overall grade "Very Good".
PhD in Medicine, By, the National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, Medical School.
Thesis: DNA Ploidy with flow Cytometry Techniques and Image analysis, as a prognostic factor in Hepatocellular Carcinoma. Three-member, Advisory Committee - Professor of Surgery, Elias Mpastounis - Associate Professor of Pathology, Nikolaos Kavatzas - Professor of Surgery, Evangelos Felekouras After completion of entire research work of doctoral thesis, statistical data analysis, writing, and publication of results, in February 2011, I presented my thesis to the seven-member Scientific Committee, of the, National and Kapodistrian University of Athens Medical School who evaluated it with the grade: "Excellent".
ADVANCED TRAUMA LIFE SUPPORT, (A.T.L.S.). Successful participation in the program and the examinations that took place after the end of the course, 21 - 22/06/2002.
13th International Postgraduate Course, under care of "The International Postgraduate School of the IASG", (International Association of Surgeons and Gastroenterologists) entitled Current Trends and Developments in the Management of Abdominal Malignancies, from 08 - 10/102005.
14th International Postgraduate Course, under care of "The International Postgraduate School of the IASG" (International Association of Surgeons and Gastroenterologists) entitled Advances in the Diagnosis and Management of Abdominal Diseases, from 07 - 09/12/2005.
Training Day in Hepatobiliary Surgery,The Association of Upper Gastrointestinal Surgeons of Great Britain and Ireland, John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford, UK, 08/09/2010.
Optimizing the management of colorectal liver metastases, The Association of Upper Gastrointestinal Surgeons of Great Britain and Ireland, John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford, UK, 08/09/2010.
5th International Postgraduate Course “FrontiersinHPBDiseases”, under the auspices of EACCME – UEMS, 09 – 10/03/2007.
Basic Surgical Skills, (B.S.S) by The Royal College of Surgeons of England. Successful participation in the examination and certification after completion of the course, 02 - 04/06/2005.
FirstAdvanced Transplant Course, Hammersmith Conference Centre,Hammersmith Hospital, 150 Du Cane Road, London, W12 0HS, καιτονProfessorofHepatobiliarySurgeryNagyAHabib.15 – 16/11/2007.
FirstAdvancedCourseonSurgicalComplications, from the Faculty of Medicine, Imperial College London, HammersmithConferenceCentre,HammersmithHospital, and under the organizational supervision of Transplant Surgeons Mr. Nadey Hakim and Mr. Papalois Vasilios. 22/10/2007.
Annual Course in Advanced HPB Surgery, from theFacultyofMedicine, ImperialCollegeLondon, Hammersmith Conference Centre,Hammersmith Hospital, andProfessorofHepatobiliarySurgeryNagyAHabib.28–29/09/2009.
Third Advanced Transplant Course, Hammersmith Conference Centre,Hammersmith Hospital, 150 Du Cane Road, London, W12 0HS, and under the organizational supervision of Transplant Surgeons Mr. Anthony Warrens and Mr. Papalois Vasilios. 23 - 25/11/2009.
E-AHPBA Postgraduate Course on HPB Surgery: Management of Acute and Chronic Pancreatitis, 11 December 2012, Royal College of Physicians, London, UK,Dec 2012
E-AHPBA Postgraduate Course on HPB Surgery: LAPAROSCOPIC BILE DUCT EXPLORATION: Hands-on Course – Animal Model, 28 May 2013, Sava Centre, Belgrade, Serbia,Dec 2013
ESSO Advanced Course on the Management of Hyperthermic Intraperitoneal Chemotherapy (HIPEC) after Cytoreductive Surgery (CRS), Hamburg, Germany,20- 22/03/2014.
13th International Postgraduate Course in ENDOCRINE SURGERY, by the International Association of Endocrine Surgeons. 29/9 – 01/10/2014, Costa Navarino.
Online Course for Robotic Surgery: dV Si Modules for Surgeons (Online Training Module), by INTUITIVE SURGICAL. January, 2015.
3rd International Advanced Course in: Robotic and Laparoscopic General Surgery (Hands on Robotic Surgery Course in Fresh Frozen Cadavers). 21-24/01/2015.
NanoKnife® Case Observation & Hands-on Training. S. Jackson St Hospital, University of Louisville, Kentucky, USA. Wednesday, 18 – 20/03/2015.
FRS, Advanced Course in: Robotic General Surgery (Hands on Robotic Surgery Course). Athens, Greece. 21/07/2015.
Online Course for Robotic Surgery: dV Xi Modules for Surgeons (Online Training Module), by INTUITIVE SURGICAL. August 2015.
Certificate of da Vinci ® System Training as a Console Surgeon. Strasburg, France. August 2015.
Laparoscopic Colorectal Surgery Master Class. Acibadem University, CASE, Istanbul, Turkey. 02-03 March 2016.
ALLIVER Masterclass: Theoretic and Hands-On training program on Advanced Laparoscopic Liver Surgery. September 2017, Ghent, Belgium
Laparoscopic Liver & Pancreatic Course. Heart Beat Education Centre, Southampton General Hospital. Southampton, UK, October 12th & 13th, 2017
Masterclass on Pancreatic Cancer – E-AHPBA Postgratuate Course. 10-11 November 2017, Athens, Greece
Medical Expert Training in Laparoscopic Liver Surgery, Theoretic and Hands-On training program on Advanced Laparoscopic Liver Surgery. 25.01.2018 to 26.01.201, Hepatobiliary Surgery. San Rafael Hospital, Milan, Italy.