Dr Kyriacos (Kikis) Patatas
MBBS (London) BSc (Hons) FRCR CCST (UK) EBIR
'Interventional radiology is a sub-specialty of radiology that utilises imaging technology to perform minimally-invasive, guided therapies for a variety of diseases in almost every organ system'
Dr Kikis Patatas is an experienced Interventional Radiology Consultant based at the American Medical Centre, Nicosia. He qualified in 2004 from University College London (UCL) Medical School where he was awarded an undergraduate scholarship, and graduated with a number of undergraduate prizes and merit awards.
After comprehensive training in interventional radiology (IR) based at Leeds Teaching Hospitals, he was appointed as a full-time IR Consultant at London North West Healthcare NHS Trust (Northwick Park Hospital - St Mark's Hospital - Central Middlesex - Ealing Hospital), one of the largest trusts in the country, and one of the busiest interventional radiology departments (West London Vascular & Interventional Centre) where he worked until his return to Cyprus.
He has also worked as honorary consultant both at Royal Marsden Hospital and St James's University Hospital (two of the largest oncology UK centres) gaining experience in tumour ablation.
He was part of the first cohort of radiologists who have completed accredited and integrated 6-year interventional radiology training in the UK, and obtained CCST in the new GMC-approved Interventional Radiology sub-specialty status. He is also an EBIR (European Board of Interventional Radiology) diploma holder granted by the Cardiovascular and Interventional Radiological Society of Europe (CIRSE) after successfully passing the exam.
He performs a wide range of interventional radiology procedures. He is a fellow of the Royal College of Radiologists (FRCR) and the Cardiovascular & Interventional Radiological Society of Europe (EBIR), and is a member of the European Society of Radiology (ECR) and the British Society of Interventional Radiology (BSIR).
Dr Kyriacos Patatas can now also see outpatients and perform ultrasound assessment and pre-procedural consultations at his private office in Nicosia located at 3 Makrasykas Street, Karyatides Business Centre, Medical Hall, 2nd floor, Strovolos 2034, close to the American Medical Centre [Telephone: +35722260959 | Fax: +35722262451 | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org / email@example.com].
Interventional radiological procedures will still be performed at the American Medical Centre.
Also, patients who may find it difficult to come to Nicosia for pre-procedural consultation-upon timely request-consultations could be arranged at the American Medical Centre offices in Limassol.
- Yorkshire Deanery (Leeds Teaching Hospitals / Hull & East Yorkshire)
(Aug 2007- July 2013)
Postgraduate Medical Training:
- Luton & Dunstable Hospitals NHS Trust (Feb 2007 - July 2007)
- King's College Hospitals NHS Trust (Aug 2006 - Feb 2007)
- Barnet & Chase Farm Hospitals NHS Trust (Aug 2005 - Aug 2006)
- West Hertfordshire Hospitals NHS Trust (Aug 2004 - Aug 2005)
INTERVENTIONAL RADIOLOGY SERVICES
- Angiography, angioplasty and stenting (arterial and venous) e.g. for peripheral vascular disease secondary to diabetes or smoking
- Endovascular aortic graft stenting
- Elective embolotherapy e.g. varicocele and fibroid embolisation, pelvic congestion syndrome
- Emergency embolotherapy for trauma / haemorrhage
- Thrombolysis for acute arterial/venous thrombosis
- Haemodialysis access maintenance, e.g. fistuloplasty
- Image-guided insertion of tunnelled central and dialysis lines, including complex line insertion
- Insertion of portacaths
- Inferior vena cava filter insertion and retrieval
- Fluid aspiration for diagnostic purposes e.g. pleural/peritoneal
- Fine needle aspiration (FNA) e.g. thyroid
- Image-guided drainage in various clinical scenarios, including drainage of complex collections (e.g. loculated, empyema)
- Image-guided biopsy
- Trans-jugular liver biopsy
- Image-guided nutritional procedures e.g. radiologically inserted gastrostomy (RIG) for long-term nutritional support for unsafe or inability to swallow
- Percutaneous cholecystostomy (gallbladder drainage) for obstruction / infection
- Percutaneous nephrostomy and ureteric stent insertion for obstruction
- Percutaneous transhepatic cholangiography and biliary drainage / stenting to relieve obstruction
- Core biopsy for obtaining histology sample for diagnosis
- Image-guided insertion of tunnelled central venous catheters for long term chemotherapy
- Tumour ablation (microwave, radiofrequency)
- Liver tumour chemoembolization
- Specialising in vascular imaging
Dr Patatas works with colleagues specialising in other fields of radiology and for enquiries and investigations outside his own areas of sub-specialty expertise he will be happy to recommend an appropriate colleague for the particular problem.
Special Services & Expertise:
- Vascular Interventional Radiology Procedures
- Non-vascular Interventional Radiology Procedures
- Interventional Oncology Procedures
- Relevant diagnostic imaging with ultrasound, CT and MRI
- Hospital care in team & multidisciplinary approach working with colleagues of different medical and surgical specialties
Publications & Presentations:
- Penetrating atherosclerotic ulcer of the aorta: a continuing debate. Patatas K, Shrivastava V, Ettles DF. Clin Radiol. 2013 Aug;68(8):753-9
- Patterns of renal angiomyolipoma regression post embolisation on medium- to long-term follow-up. Patatas K, Robinson GJ, Ettles DF, Lakshminarayan R. Br J Radiol. 2013 Apr;86(1024):20120633
- A novel endovascular technique in the management of a large internal iliac artery aneurysm associated with an arteriovenous fistula. Patatas K, Robinson G, Shrivastava V, Lakshminarayan R. Cardiovasc Revasc Med. 2013 Feb;14(1):62-5
- Static sac size with a type II endoleak post-endovascular abdominal aortic aneurysm repair: surveillance or embolization. Patatas K, Ling L, Dunning J, Shrivastava V. Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg. 2012 Sep;15(3):462-6
- Emergency department imaging protocol for suspected acute renal colic: re-evaluating our service. Patatas K, Panditaratne N, Wah TM, Weston MJ, Irving HC. Br J Radiol. 2012 Aug;85(1016):1118-22
- The use of sedation in the radiology department. Patatas K, Koukkoulli A. Clin Radiol. 2009 Jul;64(7):655-63.
- Cardiovascular & Interventional Radiological Society of Europe (CIRSE) Congress 2012 Lisbon – Presenter. The trouble with right-sided varicoceles: should MR venography be routinely performed prior to embolisation?
- British Society of Interventional Radiology (BSIR) Meeting 2012 Bournemouth – Presenter. Patterns of renal angiomyolipoma regression post embolisation
- Radiological Society of North America (RSNA) Meeting 2010 Chicago - Presenter. Emergency department imaging protocol for suspected acute renal colic.
Associated Hospitals / Clinics
Consultant Interventional Radiology (Oct, 2016 - Mar, 2020)American Medical Centre Nicosia Cyprus
Consultant Vascular & Interventional Radiology (Aug, 2013 - Aug, 2016)North West Healthcare NHS Trust Northwick Park Hospital / St Mark’s Hospital / Central Middlesex Hospital / Ealing Hospital
Private Practices (Dec, 2013 - Dec, 2016)(1) Trust Plus Northwick Park Hospital & (2) Spire Bushey Hospital
Honorary Consultant Interventional Radiology (Mar, 2016 - Sep, 2016)Royal Marsden Hospital London
Honorary Consultant Interventional Radiology (Aug, 2016 - Sep, 2016)St James's University Hospital Leeds
University College London
Honours & Awards
University College London (UCL) Undergraduate Scholarship
Cyprus State Undergraduate Scholarship
UCL Charlotte Dixon Prize in Neuroscience
UCL Physiology Bursary Award
UCL Certificates of Merit in: Medical Statistics (1999), Mechanisms of Drug Action (2001), Year 3 Clinical
British Society of Interventional Radiology Annual Meeting Scholarship Award 2010 - The Role of Virtual Reality in Interventional Radiology
European Board of Interventional Radiology (EBIR)
CCST Clinical Radiology with Interventional Radiology Subspecialisation Royal College of Radiologists UK
Fellowship Royal College of Radiologists (FRCR) Royal College of Radiologists UK
Intercalated Bachelor of Science (BSc) University College London Physiology
Bachelor of Medicine & Surgery MBBS University College London Medical School
Marianna Jordanous3 months ago
We were very fortunate to have been directed to Dr Kikis Patatas . My mother after undergoing a biopsy at the hospital which was not successful we were desperate, Dr Kikis was excellent after calling him within a couple of days he set up the biopsy (which was no comparison to the one before) he took time to explain the procedure and help my mother feel total confidence and trust in him. Within 4 days we received biopsy results he personally called explaining the results then he personally contacted a excellent specialist oncologist the very next day! We really are so appreciative as time makes all the difference when dealing with serious diseases, but even more importantly is your practitioner to be professional approachable but also a good man who takes a personal interest.
unnamed3 years ago