Dr Nedi Zannettou Hadjichristofi, MD
C. Rh. SA Sout Africa
Member of the College of Physicians of South Africa
Consultant Physician Rheumatologist
AMERICAN MEDICAL CENTER
As an experienced physician with more than 16 years of specialization in Rheumatology, I take a highly personal approach to caring for my patients. My practice specializes in Rheumatological conditions as Rheumatoid Arthritis,, Lupus, Psoriasis etc , osteoporosis, Fibromyalgia My practice is unique in that I can offer to my patients 16 years of experience in Rheumatology in one of the biggest Hospitals in the world and the last 7 years in Full private practise.
I believe the most important aspects of providing quality care are listening to the needs of patients; thorough testing; communication; patient education; establishing a relationship with my patients/involving patients in treatment plan; I am committed to patient satisfaction. I believe that knowledgeable patients make the best decisions about their own treatment. That's why I explain every step of the diagnostic process. Next, I want my patients to understand their condition. How it developed and how various treatment possibilities can help their condition. When we consider treatment alternatives, I present a realistic outlook on the results we can achieve. I'll also be frank about any risks that might be involved.
Our purpose is to handle each and every patient visit with care and proficiency. It is also highly important to us that our Doctor/Patient relationship is open and honest. It is my responsibility to make sure patients are well informed about their conditions and the multiple choices of treatment.
PROFESSIONAL EXAMINATIONS AND REGISTRATIONS
July 1987 - Registration with South African Medical and Dental Council, limited for Transvaal Provincial Hospitals.
September 1987 - Examination for Medical Practitioners for registration with the South
African Medical and Dental Council. Successfully completed Ethical and Language examination.
September 1991 - Unlimited registration with the South African Medical and Dental
March 1994 - Successfully completed examination in Athens,Greece and awarded
the title of Specialist in Internal Medicine.
May 1994 - Registered as Specialist Physician in Cyprus.
October 1997 - Successfully completed examination in Athens,Greece and awarded
the degree of Specialist in Rheumatology.
November 1997 - Registered as a member of the SARAA, (South African Rheumatology
and Allied Health Professionals Association).
May 2003 - Certificate in Rheumatology of the College of Physicians of South Africa, recipient by The Colleges of Medicine of South Africa.
May 2003 - Registration with the Health Professions Council of South Africa as a Subspecialist
Medicine – Rheumatology.
INTERNATIONAL MEETINGS AND CONGRESSES
1.South African Rheumatism and Arthritis association and Foundation - Rheumatology update Course. September 1995, Sandton Johannesburg.
14th Biennial Congress of the Rheumatism & Arthritis Association, 8th Biennial congress of the SA Immunology society, 3rd congress of the SA society for free radical research, 2nd symposium for allied Health professionals in Rheumatology. September 1995, Johannesburg.
2. International Osteoporosis Controversies on Osteoporosis. September 1996, Bakubang South Africa.
3. Biennial Congress of South African Arthritis & Rheumatism Association and South African Health Professionals in Rheumatology, Durban, South Africa, March 1997.
4. Instructional course on Current concepts on Diagnosis and Treatment. Mabula Lodge South Africa ,May 1997.
5. BONE AND BEYOND – South Africa June 2006.
6. The South African Academy of Family Practice – Continuing Professional Development – South Africa July 2008.
7. The South African Academy of Family Practice / Primary Care – Acute Pain Management Meeting – South Africa July 2009
8. Servier Laboratories SA (Pty) Ltd – Next Step in Osteoporosis: Building Bone – South Africa April 2010
- 3rd International Symposium on the Immunotherapy of the Rheumatic Diseases. May 1995, Cyprus.
- EULAR (European League Against Rheumatism) course on the scientific Basis of 7-10 September 1996. Wadham College Oxford, United Kingdom.
- EULAR (European League Against Rheumatism) Postgraduate course in 11- 15 September 1996, Wadham College Oxford, United Kingdom.
- ULAR (European League Against Rheumatism) Annual European Congress of Amsterdam, Netherlands, 21-24 June 2006.
- Progress & Promise: Changing Practice, Changing Lives – Amsterdam – Netherlands March 2009.
- The American Academy of Continuing Medical Education – Current Opportunities of Improving Patients Outcomes in IMID – Dubai January 2009.
- EULAR (European League Against Rheumatism) Annual European Congress of Rheumatology – Copenhagen, June 2009.
- Global Expert Meeting on Rheumatism – Prague March 2010.
SCIENTIFIC PRESENTATIONS - International meetings:
- Medical Therapy of Rheumatoid Arthritis -14th Biennial Congress of South African Rheumatism and Arthritis Association, Sandton, Johannesburg, September 1995.
- Second-Line Therapy in Rheumatoid Arthritis: The Baragwanath Hospital Experience. Review of 200 patients.15th Biennial Congress of South African Rheumatism and Arthritis Association, Durban, March 1997.
SCIENTIFIC PRESENTATIONS - Local and Regional meetings:
Medicine Academic Meetings Friday afternoons-Friends Of Baragwanath, Conference Room, and Johannesburg General Hospital Combined Academic Meetings:
- Malignant Neuroleptic Syndrome-Case presentation ,October 1994.
- Multicentric Reticular Histiocytosis-A rare case of Arthritis, March 1995
- Rheumatological Manifestations of HIV, September 1996.
- A case of Young Stroke, associated with Primary Antiphospholipid Syndrome, April 1997.
- Acroosteolysis – case presentation and review of Literature – May 2001.
INTERNSHIP (Oct, 1985 - Jun, 1986)Nicosia General Hospital, Department of Internal Medicine
INTERNSHIP (Sep, 2021 - Jun, 1987)Jubilee Community Hospital, Hammanskraal,Bophuthatswana.
SENIOR HOUSE OFFICER (Jul, 1987 - Dec, 1987)Hillbrow Academic Hospital Department of Internal Medicine
MEDICAL OFFICER (Jan, 1988 - Jun, 1988)Hillbrow Hospital, Johannesburg-Anaesthetic Department
INTENSIVE CARE AND ANAESTHETIC REGISTRAR (Jul, 1988 - Apr, 1989)Hillbrow Hospital,Johannesburg,Department of Intensive Care and Anaesthesiology
MEDICAL REGISTRAR (May, 1989 - Jun, 1993)Baragwanath Hospital, Medicine Department
RHEUMATOLOGY REGISTRAR-PRINCIPAL MEDICAL OFFICER (Jul, 1993 - Aug, 1995)Baragwanath Hospital, Rheumatology Department
RHEUMATOLOGY AND MEDICAL CONSULTANT (Sept 1995)Baragwanath Hospital, Medicine and Rheumatology Units
Lecturer in Rheumatology and Medicine for graduate and postgraduate students (Dec 1997)Examiner in Rheumatology and Medicine for graduates
Scholarship (Jan, 1977 - Jan, 1984)Cyprus Ministry of Finance
Scholarship awarded by the Cyprus Ministry of Finance through the Bulgarian Embassy to study Medicine at the Medical Academy of Sofia Bulgaria. The scholarship was for seven years, of which one was spent studying the language and six were spent at the Medical Academy studying Medicine.
GRADUATED WITH A DEGREE OF BACHELOR IN MEDICINE (Jan, 1977 - Jan, 1977)Medical Academy
Average score: 5.5 - Excellent Final State Exams Score: 5.86 - Excellent Golden Medal Award for outstanding performance granted by the Medical Academy.
Completed a course of instruction in English for doctors (Jan, 1984 - Jan, 1985)British Council, Nicosia
Internal Medicine and Surgery (Jan, 1985 - Jan, 1985)
Internal Medicine and Surgery