Dr Michail A. Papoulas
MD, PGDip, FEBS (HPB)
General Surgery | Hepatobiliary & Pancreatic Surgery | Liver Transplantation
Dr Papoulas was born and raised in Athens form Cypriot parents. He graduated from the Medical School of the University of Athens and was fully trained in General Surgery in Tel Aviv Medical Center in Israel. He obtained a dual fellowship in Liver Transplantation, Hepatobiliary and Pancreatic Surgery from King's College Hospital in London, UK. He primary specializes in laparoscopic and robotic surgery, liver and pancreas surgery and surgical oncology.
He is a member of the International and American Hepato-Pancreato-Biliary Association (IHPBA, AHPBA). He has a strong academic profile with a Certificate in Clinical Research and Biostatistics from Harvard Medical School. He has a constant interest in research and published a number of scientific articles in international peer reviewed journals. Dr Papoulas is continuously involved in teaching of pre and postgraduate students. He is a member of the King's College Surgical Society Mentorship Scheme and instructor at the Essential Laparoscopic Suturing and Educational Skills courses.
He has been a Designated Medical Practitioner (DMP) for postgraduate courses including Advanced Clinical Practice (MSc), Independent Prescribing and Pharmacology (London South Bank University) and also an examiner for the 2nd and 3rd year OSCE exams at the Medical School of King's College.
Dr Papoulas has a special interest in laparoscopic and robotic liver and pancreas surgery. He has performed more than 2000 advanced laparoscopic surgeries. He has mastered and standardised the techniques of minimally invasive surgery while working among world experts and pioneers in the field of laparoscopy and liver surgery.
Dr Papoulas has participated in various accredited courses of laparoscopic liver surgery (IRCAD, Strasbourg), liver immersion course (Antoine Beclere Hospital, Paris), laparoscopic liver ultrasound and ablative techniques course (AHPBA, Miami & Humanitas Hospital, Milan). In addition, he has completed a travelling fellowship in the Division of Hepatobiliary Surgery and Liver Transplantation in ASAN medical center, Korea.
Dr Papoulas was trained in Liver Transplantation at King's College Hospital in London. King's Liver Transplant Unit is the largest in Europe, carrying out more than 240 procedures per year. The service includes both adult and paediatric liver transplantation covering all types of transplantation such as living donor, cadaveric and auxiliary.
His vision is to establish a service of Liver Transplantation in Cyprus. Currently, all Cypriot patients who need liver transplantation are referred abroad. Dr Papoulas can manage the care of post-liver transplant patients using his expertise and excellent network with international transplant centres in UK and Israel.
Dr Papoulas is now working in the American Medical Center as a Consultant Hepatobiliary and Pancreatic Surgeon. His team is formed by expert surgeons trained at leading, large, world recognised medical centers.
Dr Papoulas and his colleagues provide the highest standard of care and cutting-edge medical services including pancreas, liver and biliary system surgeries; soft tissue sarcoma surgery; gastric cancer surgery, cytoreduction and hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy (HIPEC); esophagectomies; advanced laparoscopic and robotic surgery; and others.
Clinical / Academic Interests:
- Hepatobiliary and Pancreatic Surgery
- Advanced Laparoscopic and Robotic Surgery
- Liver Transplantation
- General Surgery
- Visceral Surgical Oncology
- General Surgery | Γενική Χειρουργική
- HPB Surgery | Χειρουργική Ήπατος - Παγκρέατος - Χοληφόρων
- Liver Transplantation|Μεταμοσχεύσεις Ήπατος
- Surgical Oncology |Χειρουργική Ογκολογία
- Complex liver and bile duct cancer
- Pancreatic tumors with vascular invasion
- Minimally invasive surgery
1. Hakeem AR, Papoulas M, Menon KV. The role of neoadjuvant chemotherapy or chemoradio-therapy for advanced gallbladder cancer - A systematic
review. Eur J Surg Oncol. 2018, doi: 10.1016/j.ejso.2018.08.020.
2. Papoulas M, Abdul-Hamid S, Peddu P, Cotoi C, Heaton N, Menon K. Irreversible electro-poration in borderline resectable pancreatic adenocarcinoma for margin accentuation. J Surg Case Rep 2018(6):rjy127.
3. Abbas H, Erridge S, Sodergren MH, Papoulas M, Nawaz A, Menon K, Heaton ND, Prachalias AA, Srinivasan P. Breast cancer liver metastases in a UK tertiary centre: Outcomes following referral to tumour board meeting. Int J Surg. 2017;44:152-159.
4. Papoulas M, Pucher P, Pinsker N, Abbas H, Sodergren MH. Transduodenal ampullectomy for ampullary neoplasms - A systematic review and meta-analysis. HPB 2017;19:S98-S100.
5. Lubezky N, Papoulas M, Lessing Y, Gitstein G, Brazowski E, Nachmany I, Lahat G, Goykhman Y, Ben-Yehuda A, Nakache R, Klausner JM. Solid pseudopapillary neoplasm of the pancreas: management and long-term outcome. Eur J Surg Oncol. 2017;43(6):1056-1060.
6. Papoulas M, Weiser R, Rosen G, Gerstenhaber F, Merimsky O, Lubezky N, Klausner JM, La-hat G. Visceral Fat Content Correlates with Retroperitoneal Soft Tissue Sarcoma (STS) Local Recurrence and Survival. World J Surg 2015; 39(8): 1895-901.
7. Lubezky N, Winograd E, Papoulas M, Lahat G, Shacham-Shmueli E, Geva R, Nakache R, Klausner J, Ben-Haim M. Perioperative complications after neoadjuvant chemotherapy with and without bevacizumab for colorectal liver metastases. J Gastrointest Surg 2013; 17(3): 527-532.
8. Papoulas M, Lubezky N, Goykhman Y, Kori I, Santo E, Nakache R, Klausner J, Ben-Haim M. Contemporary surgical approach to hilar cholangiocarcinoma. Isr Med Assoc J. 2011; 13(2): 99-103.
9. Papoulas M, Theocharis S. Primary Liver Tumors: Origin and Target Therapy. Expert Opin. Ther. Targets 2009; 13(8): 957-965.
Presentations to National and International Societies:
Dr Papoulas has participated in numerous national and international meetings. His clinical and academic work is recognised in an international level and has given more than 35 talks in meetings related to his specialty.
British Transplant Society (BTS), 2019
1. Cassar N, Papoulas M, et al. Technique of venous outflow reconstruction and incidence of he-patic venous outflow obstruction (HVOO) following liver transplantation.
2. Mateos RS, Papoulas M, et al. Long term co-morbidity profile of obese patients undergoing liver transplantation.
International Hepato-pancreatobiliary Association (IHPBA), Geneva 2018
Greek-Cypriot Surgical Congress, Limassol 2017
1. Papoulas M, Heaton N, Menon KV. Laparoscopic versus Open Left Lateral Sectionectomy - A Single Centre Comparative Study.
2. Papoulas M, Kontis E, Hadjicosta O, Menon KV. Are there contraindications for laparoscopic distal pancratectomy?
3. Papoulas M, Kontis E, Menon KV. Irreversible electroporation margin accentuation for bor-derline resectable pancreatic adenocarcinoma.
Association of Upper Gastrointestinal Surgeons (AUGIS), Leeds 2016
1. Pinsker N, Papoulas M, Sodergren MH, Menon K, Khorsandi SE, Al-Kadhimi G, Suddle A, Srinivasan P, Prachalias A, Jassem W, Vilca-Melendez H, Heaton N. Outcomes following liver resection for ruptured and non-ruptured hepatocellular carcinoma- a propensity matched analysis.
2. Pinsker N, Nawaz A, Abbas H, Papoulas M, Menon KV, Heaton N. Outcomes after resection of hepatocellular carcinoma in elderly patients.
3. Pinsker N, Papoulas M, Sodergren M, Harrison P, Heaton N, Menon K. Successful manage-ment of a persistent bronchobiliary fistula with histoacryl/ lipiodol mixture under endoscopic guidance: case report and review of literature.
Great Britain and Ireland Hepato-Pancreato-Biliary Association (GBIHPBA), Leamington Spa 2016
1. Pinsker N, Sodergren M, Papoulas M, Menon K, Khorsandi SE, Al-Kadhimi G, Suddle A, Srinivasan P, Prachalias A, Jassem W, Vilca-Melendez H, Heaton N. A Single UK Experience of Ruptured HCC.
European Association of Endoscopic Surgery (EAES), Bucharest 2015
1. Gorter RR, Eker HH, Gorter-Stam MA, Abis GS, Acharya A, Ankersmit M, Antoniou SA, Arolfo S, Babic B, Boni L, Bruntink M, van Dam DA, Defoort B, Deijen CL, DeLacy FB, Go PM, Harmsen AM, van den Helder RS, Iordache F, Ket JC, Muysoms FE, Ozmen MM, Papou-las M, Rhodes M, Straatman J, Tenhagen M, Turrado V, Vereczkei A, Vilallonga R, Deelder JD, Bonjer J. Diagnosis and management of acute appendicitis. EAES consensus development conference 2015.
Society of Surgical Oncology (SSO), San Antonio 2011
Papoulas M, Weiser R, Rosen G, Gerstenhaber F, Merimsky O, Lubezky N, Klausner JM, La-hat G. Visceral Fat Content Correlates with Retroperitoneal Soft Tissue Sarcoma (STS) Local Recurrence and Survival.
National Israel Surgical Congress, 2010
Papoulas M, Lubezky N, Goykhman Y, Kori I, Santo E, Nakache R, Klausner J, Ben-Haim M. Contemporary surgical approach to hilar cholangiocarcinoma.
European Hepato-Pancreato-Biliary Association, Athens 2009
Papoulas M, Loizou S, Hadjicostas P, Georgiou Ch, Christoforidis Ch, Neophytou K, Andrea Ch. Malakounides N. Cholecystectomy and Polypoid Lesions of the Gallbladder.
Membership in Professional Societies:
- 2018 International and American Hepato-Pancreato-Biliary Association
- 2018 Cyprus Medical association
- 2016 European Association for Endoscopic Surgery
- 2015 General Medical Association, Specialist in General Surgery - post CCT
- 2009 Israel Medical Association
- 2008 Athens Medical Association
- Member of the King’s College Surgical Society Mentorship Scheme.
- Instructor at the Essential Laparoscopic Suturing and Educational Skills courses.
- Designated Medical Practitioner (DMP) for postgraduate courses including Advanced Clinical Practice. (MSc), Independent Prescribing and Pharmacology (London South Bank University).
- Examiner for the second and third year OSCE exams, School of Medical Education, King's College Hospital.
- Tutor of the 3rd and 4th year medical students from Tel Aviv University- Sackler School of Medicine, for two consecutive years (2012-2013).
Associated Hospitals / Clinics
Chief Resident in General Surgery and HPB (Mar, 2014 - Feb, 2015)Division of General Surgery, Tel Aviv Medial Center, Tel Aviv, Israel
Specialist Registrar in General Surgery (Feb, 2009 - Jan, 2012)Division of General Surgery, Tel Aviv Medial Center, Tel Aviv, Israel
Specialist Registrar in General Surgery (Jan, 2008 - Jan, 2009)Department of General Surgery, Nicosia General Hospital, Nicosia, Cyprus
Primary Medical Qualification (Oct, 2001 - Aug, 2007)National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, School of Health Sciences, Department of Medicine, Athens, Greece
Consultant General and Hepato-Pancreato-biliary Surgeon (Apr, 2019 - Jul, 2020)American Medical Center, Nicosia
Senior Clinical Fellow in Liver Transplantation, Hepatobiliary and Pancreatic Surgery (Dual Fellowship) (Oct, 2015 - Mar, 2019)Institute of Liver Studies, King’s College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, London, UK
Senior Resident in HPB/Organ Transplantation (May, 2015 - Oct, 2015)Division of General Surgery, Tel Aviv Medial Center, Tel Aviv, Israel
Specialist Registrar in General Surgery & HPB/Organ Transplantation (Jan, 2012 - Feb, 2014)Division of General Surgery, Tel Aviv Medial Center, Tel Aviv, Israel
Honours & Awards
Distinction in the final exams for completion of training in General Surgery in 2015
Best Presentation award at the National Israel Surgical Congress in 2010
Distinction (ranked 2nd) in National Cypriot Exams for surgical residency 2008
Best student award in Senior High School of Palaio Psychiko 2001
Certification - MEDICAL SCHOOL - UNIVERSITY
National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, School of Health Sciences, Department of Medicine, Athens, Greece, 2001-2007
F.E.B.S (HPB) Geneva 2018 PG Diploma in Clinical Research, Harvard Medical School- United Kingdom Program 2017 M.D. Athens, Greece 2007 CCT Date: 26.05.2015. Specialist Registry- General Surgery
Michael Souropetsis2 weeks ago
Dear Dr. Papoulas, Words cannot begin to express my thanks and gratitude for you being part of my cancer journey. You were there from the first moment and every step of the way until today. (a year after) I just want you to know that you truly have made a difference in my life’s difficult times. Thank you for being so real, so kind, so human caring and so professional. Thank you also for making us feel that your part of our family and believe me you are! We wish you all the best and success, in your long journey of helping people with passion and professionalism and expertise, your “defined characteristics”. My sincere regards and wishes for health and prosperity for your beloved family