Dr. Savvas C. Hirides | Σάββας Κ. Χειρίδης MD, MSc, PhD, FACS
Laparoscopic-Robotic Surgeon | Λαπαροσκοπική-Ρομποτική Χειρουργική
Dr Savvas C.Hirides was born in Athens but his nationality is from Cyprus. He studied medicine in English at Charles University, Prague, Czech Republic for 6 years. He worked as a surgical resident in Children’s Hospital “P.A.Kyriakou”, in General State Hospital “G.Gennimatas” and in General State Thoracic Pathology Hospital “Sotiria” and received extensive training in the whole spectrum of classic “Open” General Surgery, Emergency and Trauma Surgery, Thoracic Surgery and Basic Laparoscopic Surgery.
Dr. Hirides is the first Cypriot Robotic Surgeon. He subspecialized in Robotic Surgery and advanced laparoscopy in the General, Laparoscopic, Robotic and Bariatric Surgical Clinic of Athens Medical Center (Director: K.M.Konstantinidis).From January 2007 till August 2017, Dr.Hirides actively participated in the First Greek Robotic Surgical Program in the country, while at the same time he completed his training in Advanced Laparoscopy, Robotic Surgery and Bariatric Surgery in centers of excellence around the world (Strasbourg, Grosseto, Houston, Los Angeles, New York, Buenos Aires). His total surgical experience overcomes the number of 3500 patients.
In addition, for two years he attended the postgraduate program on Laparoscopic and Robotic Surgery in Athens Medical School, Kapodistrian University of Athens and received the title “Master of Science” (MSc) in 2010.
He received his PhD in 2016 with completion of his research in Metabolic Surgery (surgical correction of diabetes mellitus type II) in the experimental lab with porcine models from the Medical School, Kapodistrian University of Athens (Hippocrateon Clinic, Prof.G.Zografos).
He has published in international as well as local journals and has contributed as an author in numerous medical books. He attends most of the large international surgical meetings and occasionally participates as a speaker in Europe (Seville, Geneve, Verne, Prague, Stocholm), USA (Quebec, Chicago, San Diego) and Asia (Beijing).
He is a fellow of the American College of Surgeons, member of European Association for Endoscopic Surgery, SEERSS (European Robotic Association), International Federation of Obesity and Metabolic Surgery (IFSO), and Hellenic Surgical Society. In December 2009, he was voted General Secretary of Hellenic Scientific Society of Robotic Surgery and he held this position till March 2018. In November 2011 he was elected Executive Secretary of the European Society for Robotic Surgery (SEERSS) and actively participates in the organizing committee of its meetings. In May 2011, he participated in the organization of the 6th International Congress of Robotic Surgery (MIRA) as a Co-Chairman of the Scientific Program.
Today he works as a General Surgeon in Athens Medical Center and performs Laparoscopic and Robotic operations from all the spectrum of General Surgery. His interests focus in research on diabetes surgery, future surgical technology, microrobotics, and Intraoperative Navigation Systems (Augmented Reality Robotic Surgery).
- General Surgery
- Robotic Surgery
- Obesity Surgery
- Upper & Lower GI
- Laparoscopic Surgery
- ΡΟΜΠΟΤΙΚΗ ΑΧΑΛΑΣΙΑ ΟΙΣΟΦΑΓΟΥ
- ΠΕΡΙΠΡΩΚΤΙΚΕΣ ΠΑΘΗΣΕΙΣ
- ΛΑΠΑΡΟΣΚΟΠΙΚΕΣ ΚΟΛΕΚΤΟΜΕΣ
- ΛΑΠΑΡΟΣΚΟΠΙΚΗ ΣΠΛΗΝΕΚΤΟΜΗ
- ΧΕΙΡΟΥΡΓΙΚΗ ΚΗΛΗΣ – ΚΗΛΗ ΑΘΛΗΤΩΝ
- ΡΟΜΠΟΤΙΚΗ ΣΤΟ ΧΡΟΝΙΟ ΚΟΙΛΙΑΚΟ ΠΟΝΟ – ΛΥΣΗ ΣΥΜΦΥΣΕΩN
- ΡΟΜΠΟΤΙΚΗ ΠΑΧΕΟΣ ΕΝΤΕΡΟΥ & ΟΡΘΟΥ
- ΡΟΜΠΟΤΙΚΗ ΣΠΛΗΝΕΚΤΟΜΗ
- ΡΟΜΠΟΤΙΚΗ ΧΕΙΡΟΥΡΓΙΚΗ ΣΤΟΜΑΧΟΥ
- ΡΟΜΠΟΤΙΚΗ ΧΟΛΗ ΧΩΡΙΣ ΟΥΛΕΣ
- ΡΟΜΠΟΤΙΚΗ ΚΗΛΗ
- ΡΟΜΠΟΤΙΚΗ ΔΙΑΦΡΑΓΜΑΤΟΚΗΛΗ
- ΧΕΙΡΟΥΡΓΙΚΗ ΝΟΣΟΓΟΝΟΥ ΠΑΧΥΣΑΡΚΙΑΣ
- ΜΙΝΙ ΛΑΠΑΡΟΣΚΟΠΙΚΗ ΧΟΛΗ
- ΛΑΠΑΡΟΣΚΟΠΙΚΗ ΣΚΩΛΗΚΟΕΙΔΕΚΤΟΜΗ
- ΛΑΠΑΡΟΣΚΟΠΙΚΗ ΔΙΑΦΡΑΓΜΑΤΟΚΗΛΗ
- ΛΑΠΑΡΟΣΚΟΠΙΚΗ ΑΧΑΛΑΣΙΑ
- ΡΟΜΠΟΤΙΚΗ ΕΠΙΜΗΚΗΣ ΓΑΣΤΡΕΚΤΟΜΗ
Treatment of surgical disease requires not only technical skill and extensive training by the surgeon in the basic sciences of medical diagnostics and treatment, but also sincere sympathy and love for the patient. A surgeon is a physician in the classical sense of the term, a practical scientist, an engineer, an artist, and an essential social worker.Modern surgery follows all technological developments and has become a daily practice that requires handling of tools with increasingly complexity and knowledge of new techniques, suggesting that young surgeons should all maintain a life-long training.
Publications & Presentations
- Savvas C Hirides, Petros Hirides: Concerns during Initiation of Sleeve Gastrectomy in a Laparoscopic Bariatric Program: A Single Surgeon's Initial Experience and Review of Latest Literature. DOI:10.15406/aowmc.2018.08.00220
- S Hiridis, K Konstantinidis, E Menenakos, Th Diamantis, A Papalois, G Zografos: Preliminary Results of the Influence of Duodenojejunal Bypass in a Porcine Model of Streptozotocin-Induced Diabetes Mellitus. Obesity Surgery 02/2016; 26(4)., DOI:10.1007/s11695-016-2086-3
- Konstantinos Konstantinidis, Savvas Hirides, Perikles Chrysoheris, Fotis Antonakopoulos, Petros Hirides: R-LESS right colectomy with the single-site® robotic platform. Journal of Robotic Surgery 06/2015; 9(2)., DOI:10.1007/s11701-015-0499-y
- Savas Hirides: How Can The Surgical Robot Facilitate The Difficult Splenectomy? Review Of The Literature And Presentation Of A Rare Case. International Journal of Medical Robotics and Computer Assisted Surgery 11/2011; 7:38.
- K. M. Konstantinidis, S. C. Hiridis, M. Vorias, G. Sambalis, M. Georgiou, K. Anastasakou, A. Xiarchos: Current status of robotics in general surgery. Hellenic Journal of Surgery 04/2010; 82(2):114-124., DOI:10.1007/s13126-010-0017-7
- Konstantinos M Konstantinidis, Petros Hirides, Savas Hirides, Pericles Chrysocheris, Michael Georgiou: Cholecystectomy using a novel Single-Site(A (R)) robotic platform: early experience from 45 consecutive cases. Surgical Endoscopy 04/2012; 26(9):2687-94., DOI:10.1007/s00464-012-2227-2
- George P. Moustris, Savas C. Hiridis, Kyriakos M. Deliparaschos, Konstantinos M. Konstantinidis: Evolution of autonomous and semi-autonomous robotic surgical systems: A review of the literature. International Journal of Medical Robotics and Computer Assisted Surgery 12/2011; 7(4):375-92., DOI:10.1002/rcs.408
- Konstantinos M Konstantinidis, Savvas Hiridis, Dimitrios Karakitsos: Robotic-assisted surgical removal of pelvic schwannoma: A novel approach to a rare variant. International Journal of Medical Robotics and Computer Assisted Surgery 03/2011; 7(1):55-9., DOI:10.1002/rcs.369
- Savvas Hiridis, Renos Hadgigeorgiou, Dimitrios Karakitsos, Andreas Karabinis: Sclerosing mesenteritis affecting the small and the large intestine in a male patient with non-Hodgkin lymphoma: A case presentation and review of the literature. Journal of Medical Case Reports 01/2009; 2(1):388., DOI:10.1186/1752-1947-2-388
3rd Medical School, Charles University, Prague, Czech Republic.
Fellow of the American College of Surgeons, Member of European Association for Endoscopic Surgery, SEERSS (European Robotic Association), International Federation of Obesity and Metabolic Surgery (IFSO) and Hellenic Surgical Society.
Honours & Awards
Recognition of Diploma in Greece (DIKATSA) (October 22, 2021)
Medical Degre (October 22, 2021)
3rd Medical School, Charles University, Prague, Czech Republic (October 22, 2021)
Assistant of the Anatomy Department for 5 years / Writer's Manual of Necropsy for the Assistant of the Department of Neurophysiology for 2 years