Dr Loizides is a general surgeon with a specialist interest in advanced minimally invasive surgery (laparoscopic and robotic) of the gastrointestinal tract and associated organs. He is based in Limassol at Ygia Polyclinic and at the American Medical Centre in Nicosia. He has recently returned to Cyprus following his 18-year long training programme in world leading centres in the UK and Australia.
Dr Loizides graduated from the University College of London (UCL) with a prize winning Honours degree. He also completed a Bachelors degree (BSc) in Neuroscience achieving first class honours under the supervision of Nobel prize winner Professor John O’Keefe. He completed his surgical training in distinguished university hospitals in London and Surrey. He trained in all aspects of general surgery and sub-specialised in gastrointestinal surgery. He completed a Masters Degree (MSc.) in ‘Evidence Based Healthcare’ for which he achieved First Class.
Dr Loizides was awarded the certificate of completion of training (CCT) in the UK in October 2018 and was admitted as a Fellow to the Royal College of Surgeons of England (FRCS).
Dr Loizides was then selected for a one year post-graduate fellowship at the world-renowned Royal Prince Alfred (RPA) Hospital in Sydney, Australia. He worked under Professor Michael Solomon, a world leader in colorectal surgery. Dr Loizides trained in performing complex pelvic surgery such as pelvic exenteration and cytoreductive surgery with heated intraperitoneal chemotherapy (HIPEC) for locally advanced, recurrent and metastatic abdominal malignancies. At the same time he continued to perform laparoscopic as well as robotic surgery and general surgery including emergencies and trauma.
During the various stages of his training Dr Loizides was actively involved in clinical research and endeavoured to practise evidence-based medicine. He has presented his research at congresses internationally and has published a number of scientific research articles (click here for list).
Dr Loizides can provide treatment in all aspects of general surgery and all aspects of benign and malignant disease of the gastrointestinal tract.
- Fellowship in Colorectal and Advanced GI Oncological Surgery, RPA Hospital, Sydney, Australia
- Certificate of Completion of training (CCT), GMC UK
- FRCS, Royal College of Surgeons of England
- MSc Evidence based healthcare in Surgery (Distinction), University College London, UK
- MRCS, Royal College of Surgeons of England
- MB BS (Distinction), University College London, UK
- BSc (Hons) Neuroscience, University College London, UK
- Majorly invasive surgery course, pelvic exenteration and CRS/HIPEC, RPA Hospital Sydney, Medtronic, 2019
- Workshop in advanced techniques for robotic ventral Rectopexy with Biodesign, Cook Medical and A/Prof Andrew Stevenson, Brisbane, Australia, 2019
- DaVinci Robotic Colorectal Course, Newcastle Surgical Training Centre, Freeman Hospital, UK, 2018
- Basic Skills In Colonoscopy JAG Course, St Georges Hospital, London, UK, 2016
- Damage Control Surgery, Turnbull Centre, Queen Mary University Mile End, London, UK, 2011
- Care of the Critically Ill Surgical Patient (CCrISP®), Royal College of Surgeons, London,UK 2011
- Specialist Registrar Skills in General Surgery. St Mary’s Hospital, London, UK, 2011
- Systematic Training in Acute Illness Recognition and Treatment for Surgery (START Surgery), Royal College of Surgeons, London, UK, 2009
- Basic Surgical skills (BSS), Basildon and Thurrock Hospital, UK, 2009
- Safeguarding Children Levels 1 and 2, Mandatory training group, 2020
- Medical Management and Leadership Course, Oxford Medical, UK, 2008
- Written communication skills Course. London postgraduate school of surgery, London, 2011
- Train the Trainers Course. ISC Medical, London, UK, 2011.
- Building Excellence in Specialty Training (BEST) course. Mayday University Hospital, London, UK, 2010
- Management Skills for Junior and Middle-Grade Doctors, Medicology, London, UK, 2009
- Lymph node biopsy
- Laparoscopic appendicectomy for acute appendicitis
Fellowship in Colorectal & Advanced Gatrointestinal Oncological Surgery (Feb, 2019 - Feb, 2020)RPA Hospital, Sydney, Australia
Specialist Training in General Surgery, Colorectal & Gastrointestinal Surgery (Aug, 2008 - Oct, 2018)London Deanery & Kent Surrey & Sussex Deanry, UK
Honours & Awards
Fellowship in Colorectal and Advanced GI Oncological Surgery (February 4, 2020)
Royal Prince Alfred Hospital Sydney, University of Sydney
Certificate of Completion of training (CCT), GMC UK (October 1, 2018)
FRCS, Royal College of Surgeons of England (October 20, 2017)
MSc Evidence based healthcare in Surgery (Honours), University College London, UK (June 13, 2013)
MRCS, Royal College of Surgeons of England (April 11, 2011)
MB BS (Distinction), University College London, UK (June 18, 2008)
BSc (Hons) Neuroscience, University College London, UK (June 14, 2005)
Kostas10 months ago
Dr. Loizides was recommended to me by a friend, I checked for more details online and after I visited his very well designed website I felt that he is a professional. I didn’t hesitate to contact him immediately. The arrangement of the appointment at his office was quick and easy. From the first moment he was very friendly and I felt very comfortable to discuss my issue with him. He answered every question entirely, and in terms I understood. Everything was well explained. The care, service, quality and results of his treatment was at the highest level possible. Very professional and thorough as well. I am very pleased with my experience with him, It is great to be treated with professionalism and care. Strongly recommended.
Andreas Michailov12 months ago
Θερμα Ευχαριστήρια στο Dr Sofroni Loizides. Μετα απο μια τοσο δύσκολη και περίπλοκη επέμβαση είμουν στης καθημερινές μου δραστηριότητες σε μονο 3 – 4 μερες. Επισημαίνω οτι τα συμαδια μετα το χειρουργείο ειναι ελαχιστα. Απο την πρώτη στιγμή που πλησίαζε ο Dr Sofronis ένιωσα μια υπερθετικη ενεργια και ζεστασια. Κατάλαβα οτι ειμαι σε καλα χεριά. Η εμπιστοσυνη που εκπεμπει ειναι Θεiκη. Ειμαι σίγουρος οτι και η δευτερη επεμβαση θα πραγματοποιηθεί ετσι ομαλά όπως και η πρώτη , και θα επιστρέψω στη καθημερινή μου ζωη ακόμη ποιο δυνατούς . Σ’ Ευχαριστώ Doktor απο τα βαθύ της καρδίας , και της ψυχής μου!!!