- "The role of cell therapies and hip arthroscopy in the management of osteonecrosis – An Update" Journal of Hip Preservation Surgery. Accepted for publication Manuscript ID JHPS-2018-009.R1
- "Large variation in use of Patient-reported Outcome Measures; a survey of 188 foot and ankle surgeons", has been accepted for publication in Foot and Ankle Surgery 2017. Ankle Platform Study Collaborative AMC.
- "Evidence of a Redox-Dependent Regulation of Immune Responses to Exercise-Induced Inflammation," Oxidative Medicine and Cellular Longevity, vol. 2016, Article ID 2840643, 19 pages, 2016. doi:10.1155/2016/2840643.
- “No difference in osteoarthritis after surgical and non surgical treatment of ACL ~ injured knees after 10 years.” Knee Surg.Sports Traumatol.Arthroscopy (2016), 24:2953-2959 DOI : 10.1007/s00167-015-3593-9”
- The microcycle of inflammation and performance changes after a basketball match” ~ Journal of Sports Sciences Vol 32, issue9, May 2014 pages 860-869
- "Oxidative stress and inflammatory responses following an acute bout of isokinetic exercise in obese women with knee osteoarthritis." The Knee 2013, Dec. 20(6), 581-590
- « The time-frame of acute resistance exercise effects on football skill performance.The impact of exercise intensity”. Journal of Sports Sciences 2013, 31(7):714-722
- “Thiol based antioxidant supplementation alters human skeletal muscle signaling and attenuates its inflammatory response and recovery after intense eccentric exercise”. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 2013 Jul, 98(1) 233-245
- “Physical activity is associated with bone geometry of premenarcheal girls in a dose depented manner”, Metabolism Clinical and Experimental 62(2013), 1811-1818
- «Plyometrics trainability in pre-adolescent soccer athletes». The Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research 2013 Jan, 27(1):38-49
- «Validity and reliability of the single-trial line drill test of anaerobic power in basketball players». Journal of Sports Medicine and Physical Fitness, 2011 March;51 (1):33-41.
1. “Surgical decompression of Lumbar Spinal Stenosis According to the Senegas Technique”. “Lumbar Spinal Stenosis", Lippincott Williams and Wilkins 2000, (p. 207 - 214). 15BN:0-7817-2380-9. Editors: Drs R. Gunzburg and M. Szpalski.
2. “The role of bone morphogenetic proteins in spinal fusion”; 1999 Yearbook in Spinal Biomechanics, Kafkas Medical Publications, editor: Ass. Prof. G. Sapkas.
3. “Lumbar spinal fusion by growth factors and by local gene therapy”; 1999 Yearbook in Spinal Biomechanics, Kafkas Medical Publications, editor: Ass. Prof. G. Sapkas.
GRANTS AND FUNDING
1. Grant type: Industrial funding
Funding Agencies: P&G Tzelalis Sports Medicine LTD
Role: Principal investigator
Title:Eccentric exercise effects on the development of inflammation and skeletal muscle damage.
Funding awarded: 12,000€
Percent Effort: 100%
Ref. No: 80739/2051
2. Grant type: Scientific funding
Funding Agencies: Greek Ministry of Health
Role: Scientific consultant. Analysis on the international coding systems CCAM and HCPCS. Classification of the medical procedures and the preparatory work for the implementation of the selected system in the Greek Healthcare environment.
Title: Codification of medical information in the Greek Healthcare System
STUDIES - ORAL PRESENTATIONS-POSTER
- “The role of stem cells in arthritic knees”. Speaker 5th Symposium of Regenerative Medicine.Stem cells-a vision beyond borders.November 29 to December 1st 2018, Belgrade Serbia.
- “Adiprep technique for adipose tissue derived stem cells”. Speaker Terumo Autologous Biologic Meeting, November 22 Leuven Belgium.
• Injection therapies. Now and future. Acıbadem Sports and Euroleague : Speaker “International Symposium on Basketball Science” on 19-20 May 2017. • “Animal trials and regulations in EU on orthopaedic stem cell applications”. Speaker 2nd Pre-conference workshop on : “Stem cell Applications in Regenerative Medicine and Flow Cytometry”, Omics Group, June 11-12, 2015, Athens ,Greece.
• “ ACL injuries in skeletal immature football players”. Speaker 23rd International Conference on Sports Rehabilitation and Traumatology: football medicine strategies for muscles and tendons injuries. March 22-23 ,2014 Milan Italy.
• «Football injuries prevention”. Speaker 11th International Congress of Sports Medicine Association of Greece and 8th Combined Sports Medicine Congress of Greece and Cyprus , Santorini, Greece. June 27-30 2013.
• “Imaging and surgery”. Speaker 22nd International Conference on Sports Rehabilitation and Traumatology: football medicine strategies for muscles andtendons injuries. April 20-21 2013, London.
• “Eccentric exercise associated muscle damage upregulates intracellular signaling in human skeletal muscles.” Poster, 2nd Congress for the Biochemistry and Physiologyof Exercise Athens, October 12 – 13, 2012 (Tsoukas D. et all)
• “Thiol - based antioxidant supplementation attenuates adhesion molecule elevationfollowing intense eccentric exercise”. Poster, 2nd Congress for the Biochemistry and Physiology of Exercise Athens, October 12 – 13, 2012.(A. Sakeliou, D Tsoukas et all)
• .“Anatomic ACL reconstruction with hamstrings via a medial arthroscopic portal”. Greek Association of Arthroscopy teaching lessons, Athens, September 28, 2012
• .“ACL Injuries Diagnosis and Treatment”: Speaker, 7th ECOSEP Sports Injuries Seminar: lower limb, Thessaloniki-Greece, May 12-13, 2012.
• .“Anatomic ACL Reconstruction in Football Players”: Speaker, XXI International Conference on Sports Rehabilitation and Traumatology – Football Medicine Strategies for Knee Injuries, Stamford Bridge Stadium, Chelsea FC, London, UK,
April 21-22, 2012.
• “Prevalence of Osteoarthritis after Conservative vs. Reconstructive Treatment with hamstrings of anterior cruciate ligament rupture”: Speaker, ACL Study Group, Jackson Hole-Wyoming, USA, February 12-16, 2012.
• “Pre-participation physical evaluation”; Speaker, 9th Combined Sports Medicine Congress of Greece and Cyprus, Nicosia-Cyprus, November 18-20, 2011.
• “Injury risk factors and prevention in football”; Speaker, 9th Combined Sports Medicine Congress of Greece and Cyprus, Nicosia-Cyprus, November 18-20, 2011.
• “The time course of changes in skill performance of elite football players following resistance exercise is intensity-dependent.” Poster-accepted; 16th European Congress of the European College of Sports Science, July 6-9th, 2011,
• “Meniscus Repair – Tips & Tricks”; Speaker, 4th Panhellenic Congress of the Greek Association of Arthroscopy Knee Surgery and Sports Injuries – “George Noulis”, Rethymno-Crete, June 22-25, 2011.
• “ACL anatomic reconstruction technique through a far anteromedial portal”; Teacher and Speaker, 1st International Congress of the Mediterranean Countries on Joint Surgery, Palermo, Italy, June 16-18, 2011.
• “The time depended effect of the post exercise muscle inflammation in the activation of the metabolic pathways of the skeletal muscle.” 19th International Congress in Physical Health and Sports, Komotini-Greece, May 20-22, 2011.
• “The effect of a basketball game in selective markers of muscle injury during the rehabilitation phase.” 19th International Congress in Physical Health and Sports, Komotini-Greece, May 20-22, 2011.
• “The effect of a handball game in selective markers of muscle injury during the rehabilitation phase.” 19th International Congress in Physical Health and SportsKomotini-Greece, May 20-22, 2011.
• LCA anatomic recon and associated lesions, Knee Experts Smith and Nephew meeting. “Double bundle technique EBCL for ACL reconstruction”; Speaker, Smith and Nephew Surgical Skill Center, York, England, March 3-4, 2011.
• “Football Injuries: Risk factors and Prevention”; Speaker, 13th Panhellenic Congress Sports Science Academy, University of Athens, Athens-Greece, November 25-28, 2010.
• “ACL Reconstruction Graft Choice Criteria”; Speaker, 66th Panhellenic Orthopaedic Congress HAOST, Athens-Greece, October 13-16, 2010.
• “Stress fractures in athletes”; Speaker, 5th Sports Rehabilitation Course, European College of Sports and Exercise Physicians (ECOSEP), Thessaloniki-Greece, May 15-16, 2010.
• “Risk injuries and prevention techniques in football”; Speaker, 10th International Congress of Sports Medicine Association of Greece and 8th Combined Sports Medicine Congress of Greece and Cyprus, Veria-Greece, March 19-21, 2010.
• “Arthroscopic treatment of knee osteoarthritis”; Speaker, Basic arthroscopic techniques seminar; knee and shoulder. Orthopaedic Department University of Ioannina and 2nd Orthopaedic Department – Shoulder Arthroscopy Center, Iaso General Hospital, Athens-Greece, March 19-20, 2010.
• “30 minutes of resistance exercise result in catecholaminergic but not hypothalamic pituitary adrenal axis stimulation”; 91st Annual meeting of the Endocrine Society, Washington DC, USA, June 2009; Chatzinikolaou A., Fatouros IG., Paltoglou G., Petridou A., Aulonitou A., Jamurtas A., Tsoukas D., Mitrakou A., Mougous V., Lazaropoulou C., Mergeli A., Papasotiriou I., Mastorakos G.
• “Surgical indications for rotator cuff tears reconstruction”; Speaker, Basic Seminar in Sports Injuries Rehabilitation of the ECOSEP, Thessaloniki-Greece, May 16-17, 2009.
• “Tendon injuries: achilles tendon ruptures – plantar fasciitis”; Speaker, 2nd Panhellenic Sports Medicine Congress Athletia, Athens-Greece, March 13-15, 2009.
• “Microfracture technique for chondral injuries”; Speaker, 1st European Congress of the European College of Sports Medicine and 12th Sports Medicine Seminar, Thessaloniki-Greece, December 13th-14th, 2008.
• “Football injuries”; Speaker, 3rd Congress in Preventive Medicine, Athens-Greece, September 13-14, 2008.
• “The Arthroscopic Technique for revision ACL surgery”; Poster P15-622, 13th ESSKA Congress, Porto-Portugal, May 21-24, 2008.
• “How to prevent football injuries”; Speaker, 9th International Congress of Sports Medicine Association of Greece and 7th Combined Sports Medicine Congress of Greece and Cyprus, Athens-Greece, March 27-30, 2008.
• “The arthroscopic revision technique for ACL rupture through medial portal”; Poster and Speaker at the 63rd Panhellenic Orthopaedic Congress, Athens-Greece, October 9-13, 2007.
• “ACL Reconstruction in Greece 2007. Which is my favorite technique”; Speaker roundtable, 2nd Congress of Greek Association of Arthroscopy Knee Surgery and Sports Injuries-George Noulis, Athens-Greece, June 16, 2007.
• “Meniscal injuries in athletes”; Speaker at the Scientific Day of Physical Therapy, Athens-Greece, January 29, 2006.
• “Meniscal and knee collateral ligaments injuries in athletes”; Speaker at the 17th Congress of the Hellenic Scientific Society of Physical Therapy, Athens-Greece, November 14-16, 2003.
• “Knee Injuries in beach volleyball players”; Speaker at the 3rd Seminar in Sea Sports Injuries, Poros-Greece, July 4-6, 2003.
• “Lumbar micro-discectomy in Greek high level athletes”; 4th Annual Symposium of the Greek Arthroscopic and Knee Surgery Department, Nafplio-Greece, June 20-22, 2003.
• “Clinical assessment of the elbow, knee and ankle”; Speaker at the seminars of the Hellenic Scientific Society of Physical Therapy, Athens-Greece, January 19, 2003.
• “The Biochemical and Physical profile of basketball players during the game season”; 11th International Congress on Physical Education and Sports, Komotini-Greece, May 16-18, 2003.
• “BMP’s and fracture healing”; College of Greek Orthopaedic Surgeons; Speaker at the seminars, Athens-Greece, February 2, 2001.
• “PC’s and orthopaedic problems”; Speaker at the symposium of the Private College “Domi”, Athens-Greece, January 24, 2001.
• “The role of BMP’s in spinal fusion”; Speaker, Poros-Greece, June 9-11, 2000.
• “Spondylolysis and Spondylolisthesis in young athletes”; Speaker at the 1st Congress in Sports Medicine, Patra-Greece, July 2, 1999.
• “Surgical decompression according to the Senegas Technique for lumbar spinal stenosis using power drills”; 5th International Spine Symposium, Brussels-Belgium, November 20-21, 1998.
• “Lumbar spinal fusion by growth factors and by local gene therapy”; Speaker at the 6th Seminar on Spinal Biomechanics, Athens-Greece, April 24-25, 1999.
• “The Jones fracture in athletes”; Info Orthopaedics and Traumatology, Oct. –Dec. ‘98, vol. 12, p. 14.
• “12 years of experience with Mittelmeier hip prosthesis”; Speaker at the 1st International Congress of the Balcanian Countries, Thessalonica-Greece, October 8-11, 1997.
• “8 years of experience with total hip arthroplasty of the type Harris - Galante”; PanHellenic Congress of the Greek Orthopaedic And Trauma Association, AthensGreece, October 25-27, 1996.
• “The cementless revision technique of loose acetabular components”; Speaker at the 15th Congress of the Orthopaedic Association of Northern Greece, ChalkidikiGreece, April 17-20, 1996.
CHAIRMAN AND MEMBER OF CONGRESSES ORGANIZING AND SCIENTIFIC COMMITTEES
1. Co-Chairman: “Rotator Cuff tears”. 5th Symposium Shoulder-Elbow Surgery Section Hellenic Association of Orthoaedic Surgery and Traumatology. 5-6 April 2019, Athens Greece.
2. Chairman: “ Children Orthopaedics” Review of Orthopaedics by Hellenic Association for Orthopaedic Surgery and Traumatology. Athens February 25 to March 3rd 2019.
3. Chairman ‘ Arthroscopic techniques: Tips and tricks.’ 74th Congress of the Hellenic Association of Orthopaedic Surgery and Traumatology, Athens October 10-13 2018.
4. Member Organizing Committee 1st panhellenic congress for football orthopaedic and sports medicine .April 22-24 2016 Olympus Greece
5. Chairman “ Surgical solutions for hip and groin pain” Football Medicine Strategies for player care, 11th-12th April, 2015 London
6. Member of the Organizing Committee 11t International Congress of Sports Medicine Association of Greece and 8th Combined Sports Medicine Congress of Greece and Cyprus, Santorini, Greece. June 27-30. 2013.
7.Chairman, Round Table, “Children’s safe participation in high level exercise program”; 9th Combined Sports Medicine Congress of Greece and Cyprus, Nicosia-Cyprus, November 18-20, 2013.
8. Member of the Organizing Committee, 10th International Congress of Sports Medicine Association of Greece and 8th Combined Sports Medicine Congress of Greece and Cyprus, Veria-Greece, March 19-21, 2010.
9.Member of the Scientific Committee, 2nd Panhellenic Sports Medicine Congress Athletia, Athens-Greece, March 13-15, 2009.
10.“Spine Problems in Athletes”; Co-Chairman with Prof. N. Maffulli, 1st European Congress of the European College of Sports Medicine and 12th Sports Medicine Seminar, Thessaloniki-Greece, December 13th-14th, 2008.
11.“Total Shoulder Arthroplasties”; Co-Chairman, 64th Pan-Hellenic Orthopaedic Congress of the Hellenic Association of Orthopaedic Surgery and Traumatology, Athens-Greece, October 10th, 2008 “Sports Medicine and Football Injuries” . 12.Co-Chairman and Member of Organizing Committee, 9th International Congress of Sports Medicine Association of Greece and 7th Combined Sports Medicine Congress of Greece and Cyprus, Athens-Greece, March 27-30, 2008.
13.Chairman“Sports Medicine and Sea Sports”; Chairman, 3rd Seminar in Sea Sports Injuries, 1st Orthopaedic University Clinic of Athens, Poros-Greece, July 4-6, 2003.
14.“Biomechanics of the Spine”; Chairman, 7th Part 7th Seminar1st Orthopaedic University Clinic of Athens, Poros-Greece, June 9-11, 2000.
15. 1st Congress of the Greek Foundation of Osteoporosis, Member of Organizing Committee, Athens-Greece, May 10-11, 1997.
HEALTH MANAGEMENT EXPERIENCE
- Masters Degree in Health Services Management, CNAM University of France (Conservatoire National des Arts et Metiers) Magister-Gestion des Etablissements de Sante. 2006-2008, Diploma: 12/01/2009.
- Certification of specialization: “Alternative Tourism”, Center of Professional training of National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, January 5th 2009 till May 25th 2009.
- Member of the Greek Health Services Management Association.
- Oral Presentation “Center of Excellence in Preventative Medicine”, Co-Speaker; 9th PanHellenic Congress of Greek Health Services Management Association, Corfu-Greece, October 4-7, 2007.
CONGRESSES – SEMINARS
- Attendance or participation in more than 150 congresses worldwide the last years.