Nursing, Care and Rehabilitation Units
MATERIA Group offers a diverse range of high-quality nursing, care and rehabilitation services and is specialized in older adults. Our patients can choose between two care units in Nicosia, one in Latsia and one in Archangelos area.
"Our aim is to offer best quality of professional and advanced services in a cozy and human-centered environment. This is accomplished by the continuous evaluation and improvement of our services, extensive training of our staff and multidisciplinary patient case management."
Our Services Include:
- Residential care, including in-unit's geriatrician rounds, physiotherapy, nursing care, personal care, memory and cognitive enhancement, socialization, learning new skills, psychosocial support, design and implementation of dietary plans, etc.
- Daycare services to care for daily needs and offer recreational activities
- Homecare services for assisted living
- Consulting services, psychoeducation and psychological support
- Educational Seminars for Carergivers
- Cognitive Enhancement Program - Memory Center
- Physiotherapy for in- and outpatients
Our departments are:
- Management and administration
- Medical, nursing and care
- Cognitive enhancement
- Phychosocial support
- Animators/ Recreational support
- European projects
- Cleaning and maintenance
Our core philosophy and values are:
- Respect for the individual, their needs and choices
- Continuous improvement of their quality of life
- Avoidance of institutionalization
These principles govern the selection and training of our staff which leads to a professional, positive, helpful and responsive attitude to the problems and needs of our patients, as well as, a warm and caring environment.
CARE UNITS & SERVICES
MATERIA Unit at Latsia is located just 10 minutes from the center of Nicosia. It is ideally situated since it is joined with the neighbouring Athalassas Natural Park. It has the advantage of being located behind the New Nicosia General Hospital. it is located near churches, banks, a post office and within walking distance of the Mall of Cyprus and IKEAshopping mall.
THALPORI unit is situated in a beautiful, quiet area of Archangelos, just behind the Archangelos Elementary School. It overlooks the towering trees and the school yard on a quiet street where our customers can enjoy their walk in safety and tranquility. A few meters from our building is the church of St. Mark's, where customers can visit the church whenever they wish. Also, nearby are all of the facilities needed for customers and visitors: pharmacy, kiosks, grocery stores and clothing (Midway street of Archangelos). The most important aspect of our location is thatwe are near the beautiful pedestrian of Lakatamia and Archangelos, as well as close to the small park of the area.
AKTIOS, Care and Rehabilitation Unit, Ag Paraskevi, Greece. In 2010, our Group became a shareholder and a research associate at AKTIOS Aged Care Unit in Athens, which is a unit leader in the care of patients with Alzheimer and related dementias. Our close cooperation continues since the opening of AKTIOS in 2007, in areas of scientific information and innovative applications, training of staff and development of new services.
MANAGEMENT TEAM/ ADMINISTRATION
Marina Polycarpou (Board member, Managing Director, Director of Materia Unit) is a Psychologist - Gerontologist with undergraduate and graduate studies in America and England. She is a member of Britain Gerontology Association and the American Psychological Association. She has published papers in scientific journals and participated in international conferences for gerontology. She has worked in community and private care programs in Cyprus and abroad in the last 15 years. She is also a board member of the Gerontology Research Center and of the Youth Empowerment Foundation.
Evi Palladiou (Board President, Customer Service Consultant) has studied law at the University of Athens and has recently retired from the Social Welfare Services where she worked for 30 years as a Social Worker. Her role in our company is advisory for staff issues and other topics related with her long experience in the Welfare Office.
Filios Savvides (Board Member, Coordinator of Strategic Planning and Financial Issues ) holds a degree in civil engineering and is a UK qualified chartered accountant. He worked as an accountant in England and Greece. He returned to Cyprus in 1993 and worked until recently in Bank of Cyprus. He is responsible for strategic issues, health and safety, audit and evaluation procedures of the Group. He is also a board member of the Gerontology Research Center and of the Youth Empowerment Foundation.
Stella Nicolaou (Quality Control Manager) holds a B.Tech in Nursing. She joined MATERIA in 2005 as a nurse with 25 years of practical work experience. She has worked at the Private Hospital Evangelistria, at Polyclinic in Nicosia and in many community programs for seniors. She is responsible for the control of the quality of care, for communication with our clients doctors and relatives of the clients and for the basic organization of care, hospitalization and rehabilitation in our units.
Elena Savva (Administrative Officer). Graduate of University in Department of Education Sciences at the European University Cyprus with an MA in Learning Technologies and Communication. She worked as Administrative Officer at the University of Cyprus Kindergarten. She works at Materia Group since December 2016.
Dr. Costis Prouskas, is a psychologist with a master’s degree (MSc) in Psychological Assessment in Organizations (London Goldsmiths) and a doctorate (PhD) in Gerontology (King’s College London). He is the Chairman of the Board and Managing Director of Aktios S.A.. He has worked as a Psychologist in the Elderly Care Unit Relax Palace in Marousi, and has served, for 4 years, as the Scientific Director in 2 Social Rehabilitation Units of the Non profit Organisation “Klimaka” in Corfu (Psychogeriatric Unit & Severe Mental Retardation Unit).
His research interests include ageing and dementia, family caring, the organisation and management of health and welfare units, assessment techniques and quantitative research methods. He served for 6 years as the Secretary General of the Greek Care Homes Association (P.E.M.F.I). He is a founding member of the Non Profit Organisation “50plus Hellas”. He is also the Vice President of the Athens Association of Alzheimer Disease and Related Disorders.
"One of the major problems of old age is loneliness. The socialization of our prominent importance, and thus we encourage participation in group activities in order to avoid feelings of depression and isolation, feelings experienced by a significant proportion of elderly people living at home with foreign domestic workers. At MATERIA the client can develop a daily contact, social and friendly relations with other people who share common experiences and interests with them."
Our services include:
- Assistance with activities of daily living (ADLs)
- Cognitive Enhancement Therapy
- Social and behavioral skills retraining
- Emotional support and recreation
- Speech therapy
- Stress, anxiety, and depression management
- Bladder and bowel retraining
- Activities to improve mobility (movement), muscle control, gait (walking), and balance
- Exercise programs to improve movement, prevent or decrease weakness
- Nutritional counseling
- Psychological counseling and psychoeducation to older adults and family members
- Involvement in community support groups
- Use of technology and assistive devices that promote independence
- Safety and independence measures and home care needs
- Pain management
- Vocational counseling
Our Commitment to Quality:
- offer continuous staff training opportunities both in National and European level,
- engage in frequent internal evaluations,
- promote healthy workforce relationships,
- maintain strong bonds with the community (family members, church, schools)
- are a human-centered social entreprise
- Care, Nursing and Rehabilitation Units
- Daycare and residential care
- Homecare services
- Consulting Services on all aspects of the Third Age,
- Educational Seminars for Foreigner Carers for the Elderly,
- Cognitive Enhancement Program - Memory Center,
- Physiotherapy for in- and outpatients