Nursing, Care and Rehabilitation Units
MATERIA Group offers a diverse range of high-quality nursing, care and rehabilitation services and is specialized in older adults. Our patients can choose between two care units in Nicosia, one in Latsia and one in Archangelos area.
"Our aim is to offer best quality of professional and advanced services in a cozy and human-centered environment. This is accomplished by the continuous evaluation and improvement of our services, extensive training of our staff and multidisciplinary patient case management."
Our Services Include:
- Residential care, including in-unit's geriatrician rounds, physiotherapy, nursing care, personal care, memory and cognitive enhancement, socialization, learning new skills, psychosocial support, design and implementation of dietary plans, etc.
- Daycare services to care for daily needs and offer recreational activities
- Homecare services for assisted living
- Consulting services, psychoeducation and psychological support
- Educational Seminars for Carergivers
- Cognitive Enhancement Program - Memory Center
- Physiotherapy for in- and outpatients
Our departments are:
- Management and administration
- Medical, nursing and care
- Cognitive enhancement
- Phychosocial support
- Animators/ Recreational support
- European projects
- Cleaning and maintenance
Our core philosophy and values are:
- Respect for the individual, their needs and choices
- Continuous improvement of their quality of life
- Avoidance of institutionalization
These principles govern the selection and training of our staff which leads to a professional, positive, helpful and responsive attitude to the problems and needs of our patients, as well as, a warm and caring environment.
CARE UNITS & SERVICES
MATERIA Unit at Latsia is located just 10 minutes from the center of Nicosia. It is ideally situated since it is joined with the neighboring Athalassas Natural Park. It has the advantage of being located behind the New Nicosia General Hospital. it is located near churches, banks, a post office and within walking distance of the Mall of Cyprus and IKEA shopping mall.
THALPORI unit is situated in a beautiful, quiet area of Archangelos, just behind the Archangelos Elementary School. It overlooks the towering trees and the school yard on a quiet street where our customers can enjoy their walk in safety and tranquility. A few meters from our building is the church of St. Mark's, where customers can visit the church whenever they wish. Also, nearby are all of the facilities needed for customers and visitors: pharmacy, kiosks, grocery stores and clothing (Midway street of Archangelos). The most important aspect of our location is thatwe are near the beautiful pedestrian of Lakatamia and Archangelos, as well as close to the small park of the area.
AKTIOS, Care and Rehabilitation Unit, Ag Paraskevi, Greece. In 2010, our Group became a shareholder and a research associate at AKTIOS Aged Care Unit in Athens, which is a unit leader in the care of patients with Alzheimer and related dementias. Our close cooperation continues since the opening of AKTIOS in 2007, in areas of scientific information and innovative applications, training of staff and development of new services.
MANAGEMENT TEAM/ ADMINISTRATION
Marina Polycarpou (Board member, Managing Director, Director of Materia Unit) is a Psychologist - Gerontologist with undergraduate and graduate studies in America and England. She is a member of Britain Gerontology Association and the American Psychological Association. She has published papers in scientific journals and participated in international conferences for gerontology. She has worked in community and private care programs in Cyprus and abroad in the last 15 years. She is also a board member of the Gerontology Research Center and of the Youth Empowerment Foundation.
Evi Palladiou (Board President, Customer Service Consultant) has studied law at the University of Athens and has recently retired from the Social Welfare Services where she worked for 30 years as a Social Worker. Her role in our company is advisory for staff issues and other topics related with her long experience in the Welfare Office.
Filios Savvides (Board Member, Coordinator of Strategic Planning and Financial Issues ) holds a degree in civil engineering and is a UK qualified chartered accountant. He worked as an accountant in England and Greece. He returned to Cyprus in 1993 and worked until recently in Bank of Cyprus. He is responsible for strategic issues, health and safety, audit and evaluation procedures of the Group. He is also a board member of the Gerontology Research Center and of the Youth Empowerment Foundation.
Stella Nicolaou (Quality Control Manager) holds a B.Tech in Nursing. She joined MATERIA in 2005 as a nurse with 25 years of practical work experience. She has worked at the Private Hospital Evangelistria, at Polyclinic in Nicosia and in many community programs for seniors. She is responsible for the control of the quality of care, for communication with our clients doctors and relatives of the clients and for the basic organization of care, hospitalization and rehabilitation in our units.
Dr. Costis Prouskas, is a psychologist with a master’s degree (MSc) in Psychological Assessment in Organizations (London Goldsmiths) and a doctorate (PhD) in Gerontology (King’s College London). He is the Chairman of the Board and Managing Director of Aktios S.A.. He has worked as a Psychologist in the Elderly Care Unit Relax Palace in Marousi, and has served, for 4 years, as the Scientific Director in 2 Social Rehabilitation Units of the Non profit Organisation “Klimaka” in Corfu (Psychogeriatric Unit & Severe Mental Retardation Unit).
"One of the major problems of old age is loneliness. The socialization of our prominent importance, and thus we encourage participation in group activities in order to avoid feelings of depression and isolation, feelings experienced by a significant proportion of elderly people living at home with foreign domestic workers. At MATERIA the client can develop a daily contact, social and friendly relations with other people who share common experiences and interests with them."
Our services include:
- Assistance with activities of daily living (ADLs)
- Cognitive Enhancement Therapy
- Social and behavioral skills retraining
- Emotional support and recreation
- Speech therapy
- Stress, anxiety, and depression management
- Bladder and bowel retraining
- Activities to improve mobility (movement), muscle control, gait (walking), and balance
- Exercise programs to improve movement, prevent or decrease weakness
- Nutritional counseling
- Psychological counseling and psychoeducation to older adults and family members
- Involvement in community support groups
- Use of technology and assistive devices that promote independence
- Safety and independence measures and home care needs
- Pain management
- Vocational counseling
Our Commitment to Quality:
- offer continuous staff training opportunities both in National and European level,
- engage in frequent internal evaluations,
- promote healthy workforce relationships,
- maintain strong bonds with the community (family members, church, schools)
- are a human-centered social enterprise
- Care, Nursing and Rehabilitation Units
- Daycare and residential care
- Homecare services
- Consulting Services on all aspects of the Third Age,
- Educational Seminars for Foreigner Carers for the Elderly,
- Cognitive Enhancement Program - Memory Center,
- Physiotherapy for in- and outpatients
Materia Group through its dedicated Applied Research and Development Department has rich experience in EU funded projects.
The list of projects Agecare has participated in or coordinated can be found below:
- Horizon 2020 - FRAILSAFE PHC-21-2015-69 PHC690140 - Understanding and Preventing Frailty.(University of Patras, Greece, Coordinator)
- AAL programme – COCARE aal-2020-7-145-CP- A comprehensive concept for healthy aging supported by digital solutions across the geriatric Continuum-of-Care (COC). (Dividat AG, Switzerland, Coordinator)
- Erasmus+ – HERO 2020-1-CY01-KA204-066039 - Training program in elderly care and infectious disease prevention for the integration of refugees from the Middle Eastern and African countries in western society. (Materia Group, Cyprus, Coordinator)
- Erasmus+ – Digi-Ageing 2020-1-AT01-KA202-078084 – Digi-ageing – Overcoming Loneliness.(Hafelekar Management Consultancy Schober GmbH, Austria, Coordinator)
- Erasmus+ – Healthcare 4.0 2020-1-DE02-KA202-007553 - Kick starting migrant integration through enriched CLIL. (Europcare GmbH, Germany, Coordinator)
- AAL programme – GUIDed aal-2019-6-190-CP - Assisted living and social interaction platform.(Materia Group, Cyprus, Coordinator)
- AAL programme – ReMember-Me aal-2019-6-188-CP - Smart assistant to prevent and detect cognitive decline, promote cognitive function and social inclusion among older adults (Materia Group, Cyprus, Coordinator)
- AAL programme – iCan 2019-6-182-CP - ICT-based assistant for everyday life. (GeoImaging Ltd, Nicosia, Cyprus, Coordinator)
- AAL programme - FrAAgile AAL/0218/0008- Platform for detecting and preventing frailty and falls (Ideable solutions, SL, Spain coordinator)
- AAL programme - IOANNA AAL/0217/077- ICT-based solutions for everyday facilitations in shopping management and navigation. (GeoImaging Ltd, Nicosia, Cyprus, coordinator)
- AAL programme - STAGE ΚΟΙΝΑ/ΑΑL/0215/01– Streaming of Theatre and Arts for old Age Entertainment (National Research Council, Rome, Italy coordinator)
- AAL programme – Many-Me ΚΟΙΝΑ/ΑΑL/0216/04 - Social Interactive Care System to support the wellbeing of people living with dementia - (MOB, Rotterdam, The Netherlands coordinator)
- AAL programme – MEDGUIDE KOINA/AAL/2016/052- ICT Integrated System for Coordinated Polypharmacy Management in Elders with Dementia - (Connected Care Services b.v., The Netherlands coordinator)
The vast majority of projects in which Materia Group is involved in or has successfully completed are focused on promoting active and independent living among older adults.
Honours & Awards
Gold Responsible Business Award in Health & Technology 2021 (July 14, 2022)
Cyprus Responsible Business Awards organised by Boussias Cyprus